Friday, October 8, 2010

Ballard Farm

The week after I bought my first DSLR, I headed out to photograph the texture and character of my Grandparents, and their farm in Benson UT. All I had was a borrowed 50mm 1.8 lens from my Mom, but it was images from this very first "shoot" that inspired me to start a photo blog. In fact, as embarrassing as it is, you can see my VERY first post right here, showcasing a few photos from my first photo journey in January of 2009.

I love Grandpa Ballard's farm; it is filled with texture, history, stories, experiences and memories, and BEAUTIFUL character...a lot like my Grandfather. What an intriguing and amazing man. I did a post on him a few days later that can be seen here.

Recently Luisa and I had the opportunity to visit Benson, and see my wonderful Grandparents shown below.
Photobucket
We took the opportunity to talk and laugh with these two amazing people and captured some of the history and beautiful textures of their farm.

Photobucket
It was wonderful to return once again and capture the rich history and details that inspired me almost two years ago, to embark on this photographic adventure.

2 comments:

R.E. ~ October 8, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

What a great story Nate! You had an amazing inspiration. What an awesome farm. And you are so lucky to have your grandparents... they are truly beautiful.

~A.

Ken and Jen Perkes October 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

Nate, this is a beautiful photo essay on the rather weathered and worn farm--once amazingly productive, still full of character, rich texture, and with stories to tell. And in reality, for me, it is also a wonderful essay on the farmer, your grandfather, who is also rather weathered and worn, nearing the end of his amazingly productive years, but still full of strength, character, and with stories to tell. So grateful that you and Luisa are wise enough to seek out a few of those stories while you can, and then to re-tell them in your wonderful way! Nicely done!

--Pops

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP