Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Ten

Home again, after one of the most influential and life changing weeks of my life. If you're just tuning in, I was fortunate enough to be one of five photographers that were chosen to attend a workshop hosted by CreativeLIVE and Jasmine Star. The workshop was 5 days long, and involved shooting a live wedding. The five days were, well...crazy. Absolutely crazy, intense, fun, life-changing, and amazing.


Many have asked what it was like to spend 5 days with Jasmine and JD. It honestly was one of the best experiences I've ever had. If you can, once they open up another workshop, GO. It will rock your world and change the way you see your brand and experience. They are two of the most giving and honest and genuine people I've ever met.

To try to put into words, what I've gained from this experience is not an easy task. I've come away lifted, liberated, and humbled. But to try to capsulate what I've learned, I've made my very own Top Ten Countdown, of things that have "rocked my world". As I listed my top ten, I found I had two lists, one primarily on the photography side of things, and then one on the business side of things. So today, I'll share my Top Ten things that I learned from Jasmine with regards to business and branding.
Photobucket
10. CREATE - Are we creatures to our circumstance or creators? Chase Jarvis quoted Owen at Viget.com, saying "It's easier to be inspired than it is to create". I have often found myself busy being inspired, but not creating. Create connections, be involved in the photography community, create experiences for your clients, create conversations, create BUZZ!

9. Be INTERESTED - Instead of trying to get 200 to be interested in you, become genuinely interested in 2 people. Pay it forward, help others, again...get INVOLVED, and it the return will always be greater.

8. Under Promise, Over Deliver - This one is pretty simple. If you are always delivering more than you promise, then everybody is happy. There are SO many ways this is possible. I feel like I've always been trying to promise the sun, moon and stars to make clients happy, and then trying so hard to accomplish that. Promise the sun, and then moon and stars are a happy bonus.

7. Create "Don Kings" - Don King promoted some of the best professional boxers including Muhammad Ali, and Mike Tyson. As you share with a bride and groom their wedding photos, they immediately become Don Kings for you. But what happens when you share a same day slideshow to 50+ people at their wedding?

6. 80/20 - A successful photography business is 20% photography, 80% business. This one is huge, as I'm learning that it's not ALL about the photos!! It's about the experience. A bride and groom should like their photos before they even see them. Great photographers don't take or make great photos, they create great branded experiences, and tell the story THROUGH their great photos.

5. Connect and Repel - This blew my mind. Connect with brides that relate to YOU, repel brides that may not be the best fit. More on this later...

4. Leverage Strengths, and Outsource Weaknesses - Now outsourcing isn't for everyone, but KNOW your strengths, and expand them. USE them, leverage them, and make them even stronger. What makes you different? Jasmine is one of the best at knowing her strengths, and knowing her weaknesses, and growing where she's strong, and getting help where she's weak. There is nothing wrong with having weaknesses, just know how to use them.

3. Branding - Wow. This could have it's own top ten list, but brand. Everything. A logo is not a brand, but a symbol of a brand. A brand is an experience, even a feeling. I have SO far to go with branding!

2. KIR! - Keep it real. Don't fake the funk. People are naturally attracted to people that are REAL. "Leave your ego at the door" and K.I.R...Keep It Real!

1. Be YOURSELF - My favorite. Why? Because I feel liberated in a sense that, if you keep it real, and BE YOURSELF, then people will love you for it. OR, they may hate you for it, but remember, connect and repel. The ones that hate you for it, probably wouldn't be a good fit to begin with. Before going to the Jasmine Star workshop, I felt like I already knew her. I'm sure she has received the comment "I feel like I KNOW you!" many, many times. She's real, she's herself, and so people relate to her.
Photobucket
Again, what an incredible experience. Not a workshop on photography, but on YOU, on me. Thank you Jasmine and JD and the CreatieLIVE team for an unforgettable week.
Photobucket
Photography Top Ten coming tomorrow!

20 comments:

Mavi August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Loved this post! Thanks for condensing the list to a top ten! I still have to go back and watch all the courses but I got so much out of the bits and pieces I did watch. I also started a blog because of J* and her emphasis on it! Would love it if you checked it out, www.photosbymaviblog.blogspot.com.

Good luck with your new baby on the way!

Peter Hearl August 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

Nice job nate, enjoyed all 5 days here in the UK. I have downloaded it and will watch it again next week, there was a lot of info to take in, in one go, I don't about you but have some big changes to put into place after watching Jasmine.

wr August 31, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Great post! Almost everything she shared resonated with me too, but especially the attract and repel concept and how freeing that is when you are encouraged to be yourself! Thanks for posting your list.

Kerri August 31, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

You really captured the essence of the 5 days! I am not even really a photographer, just a Mamarazzi, but J* inspired me too! Starting with getting off of Auto! Enrolled for a course this morning!
I had a great time watching all of you and will be following you in the future!
Kerri

me August 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

Great post! We must have had the Top 10 list blog post idea at the same time haha:

http://bit.ly/bABgmt

Great learning with you guys over the past week, it was experience I'll never forget. Good luck with your new baby!

Amy August 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

It was a great workshop by CreativeLIVE, and filled with so much fantastic information! Jasmine & JD are amazing people, and I feel confident in saying that although we've never met in person. It's just something that pours out of them, and fills the room.

Thanks for sharing your top 10, I'm looking forward to your photography top 10 :)

Jasmine August 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

Dude...you freaking rock my world!!! Give my love to Mrs Perkes and your lil bambino!! Mwah!

Melanie August 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

Great post! You listed all the things I really liked about watching the workshop online. I'm looking forward to reading your photography Top 10 tomorrow!

Marryam August 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

great post, was awesome to watch it online, can't imagine how great it would have been to actually BE there! thanks for the post!

John Lewis Photography August 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

Nate, looking forward to your posts and filling in the gaps. The event was brilliant. Here in the UK the watch times were crazy and I was exhausted by the end but really enjoyed you guys and the questions you asked for us all. Best wishes with your future.

kathyb August 31, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

Nate, I was fortunate enough to watch some of it online... from my side, it was incredible, from yours, I'm sure it was...well I guess there really are no words...
Thanks for sharing your Top Ten, some I heard Jasmine talking about and some I didn't so I really appreciate this. You're a gifted photographer, keep it up!

Stacey Long August 31, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Love this post! Part of the reason I loved watching this workshop was because of the Createlive Five! You all are amazing! Jasmine totally rocked it with the teaching but you all helped the lessons sink in. I'm so excited to see how this workshop propels all 5 of you into a new chapter of your career and wish you the best of luck!

Trysha August 31, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

"It's easier to be inspired than it is to create"
Wow. I just realized I've spent a lot of time being inspired.

Erika August 31, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

That definitely summarizes everything nicely! One of my favorite things that Jasmine said that weekend was in her interview with Chase Jarvis at his studio before it all started: "The opposite of cold isn't hot. It's just not cold." She gives everyone permission to be REAL and not worry about doing everything "right"....it just has to work for you. =)

Looking forward to watching you create that brand!

Carly August 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Great post! Thanks for summarizing all 5 days into 1 list! So helpful!!

Maria Burnham August 31, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

It was sooo cool to see somebody from Idaho! Me and husband moved from Utah here and I feel like,It's so different here...But anyway,can't wait to see your pictures! I know they will look amazing =)

Nate Perkes August 31, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

@Trysha: ME TOO! Inspiration IS great, as long as that's not all we do. I think it works something like this: Become Inspired, apply and learn from it, THEN CREATION comes, infused with YOU and your personality.

Jasmin September 1, 2010 at 1:42 AM  

Your No. 1 is my No. 1, too! Honestly, I have three businesses over the last three years and most of the time I tried to hide each of them inf ront of the clients from another - because I always thought it would have an unprofessional outcome if they see that I do some other things, too. But now I've learned to be myself, buzz my business BECAUSE of the three different sides it has, because that's ME! Thanks for sharing your TOP TEN! It will make its way to my To Do-List, directly! But now: Stop getting inspired, off to CREATE! ;-)

IPBrian September 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Totally agree Nate...did you get those press releases in?

I have spent some time myself detailing my feelings about the class. It ended up being pretty hard to write, but I got it out.

http://www.ipbrian.com/2010/09/my-jasmine-star-experience/

TLC Moments September 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

I LOVE your top 10!!! I have GOT to get to work!! :)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP