Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Epic Adventure" - Day 2

Photobucket
Jasmine wasn't kidding when she said this would be one epic adventure. In fact, that's a HUGE understatement. Day one was incredible. Day two was unbelievable, quite literally. Like we (the other attendees and I) can't believe it. We were out to eat afterwards just trying to take it all in. The four others by the way, are the coolest ever. Learning new incredible things is extremely fun, but learning it alongside others is even better. So if you haven't checked out Sachin's, Audrey's, Victoria's or Stephanie's blog, you seriously should.
Photobucket
Right before we start. Funny how everyone here is on their laptop or phone.

I want to touch on a few of my favorite aspects of the day, show some behind the scenes pics, and talk about the greatest things that I'm learning. Kind of a giant recap of sorts. But again, first before anything...huge thanks to the CreativeLIVE team. And Jasmine and JD, you guys just continue to amaze me and I'm pretty sure everyone else. HUGE Thank you. You're so generous with your life, your love and your passion. I've had the time of my life so far.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Having fun out in the parking lot before we started.

Recap! If you missed part or all of today, then you're seriously crazy not to buy the workshop, even JUST for today.

Again, HUGE theme: Attract or repel. This is monumental to me, since I've always felt you have to try to appease everyone, which makes it REALLY hard to be yourself. If you are TRULY yourself, you will attract amazing brides, and repel the ones that might just not be the perfect fit. "My brides hire me to be ME." - Jasmine

Another theme: CREATE!! Create conversation, create connections, create BUZZ!

Organization. I am blown away by how organized Jasmine is, even down to the way she shoots.
80/20 rule. A thriving photography business is 80% business and only 20% photography. Interesting that most people (especially me) invest most of their time, energy and money into improving their photography without any investment into learning the business side of things.

KEEP CONTROL of the day. You lose control, then you lose confidence, and if you lose confidence, then your bride and groom lose confidence in you and their wedding pictures. If you are not confident in your shooting, you will NEVER get confidence from your clients.

Let your brides know that it's ok to feel and be beautiful. To even be gorgeous, stunning and even hot! Communicate with your brides! Show them, instruct them, LAUGH with them, and don't be afraid to be yourself and make a fool of yourself.

VIRAL MARKETING. Don't even get me started on this. What are your thoughts?

Same Day slideshows = same day evangelists. LOVE it! "Create Don Kings!"

And my three words. Jasmine asked us all to pick three words that described our brand, our experience we want brides to have when they look at their photos. I am still exploring with different words, but when asked on screen, I said Evocative, romantic and dramatic. Almost there. Needs a little fine tuning.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Chase getting ready to go live, and Jasmine and JD smiling for a picture.

These are honestly just a FEW things, maybe 3-5% of what we've been learning. There has been so much and I'm sorry that this blog post is so long. Actually, no. I'm not. Today has seriously be remarkable for everyone, and a few sentences here and there just wouldn't cut it. Honestly, if you haven't tuned it yet, you need to. Tomorrow is the wedding and will be broadcast live.

Now just a bit about the day. Two main words come to mind. Learning and laughing...a lot. Jasmine is so fun to work with and is seriously a fireball of energy. How she does it...no idea. But she does, and she OWNS it. Seeing her work in action is like magic.
Photobucket
LOVING window lighting. I'm just experimenting here with light.

As for the photos, you'll notice all the photos today on the blog are "behind the scenes" kind of photos. I don't want to post any pictures of Billy and Laura until Jasmine has posted her own images, but I was given 5 minutes to "work my mojo" in the spotlight. Good flippin' night was I scared. Terrified. I had a silhouette/rim lighting idea in my head that I wanted to run with, something that I haven't really done before which made it even more nerve racking. After watching it back, I made a ton of mistakes, and there are quite a few things I would do differently, but I'm still super excited about the shots I got, which I'll post as soon as Jasmine posts photos of the First Look.

Today was truly enlightening and inspiring. Billy and Laura were absolutely beautiful and were perfect. I can't wait to talk more about them when I post my pics. They're an incredible couple. Good night and hope you tune in tomorrow for the LIVE wedding here.
Photobucket
I think my favorite moments are right after the camera and live feed go off. Everyone relaxes and cheers and the laughs break out and everyone just mingles. Here's a shot of everyone just hanging out afterwards.

24 comments:

MJ August 27, 2010 at 2:13 AM  

I have been watching right along with you all and I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. Jasmine is ALL that AND a bag of chips..lol:) There are no words to describe what I am learning. She has managed to make me cry and laugh more in these past 2 days than I have in a month. I told my hubby she is my Puerto Rican soul sista:) I love Creative Live for doing these Awesome Courses~the Internet has given us creative humans an awesome outlet to share, inspire,teach,learn and be INSPIRED every step of the way. Can't wait for the wedding I will be there in spirit on the other side.

"The Power of Imagination Makes Us Infinite!"~JM

Warmest Regards!
Mari

patricia August 27, 2010 at 3:16 AM  

It is so inspiring. If you aren't a photographer and you'll watch Jasmine* you want to become one... I'm for sure...this girl rocks and to the other ones you're doing amazing... really. You're a great inspiration to us to... Until later

Brian P. August 27, 2010 at 6:40 AM  

Nate
Wow EPIC is a good word, looks like your having an amazing time. I'm loving your posts so keep them up. I've learned quite a bit just via the post so I"m sure you filling your brain to the top. Maximize the adventure.

Uncle B

wr August 27, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

Wow! Great recap. I am learning so much and the energy you all are generating is not just staying in Seattle. Viral Marketing! It's amazing to me how our world has changed with social media. It's a little overwhelming to think of the potential that we have literally at our fingertips.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with the rest of us! And I cannot wait to see your photos of the bride and groom!

Candis August 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Echoing what the others above have said - what an amazing ride! Thank you for posting your behind-the-scenes and thoughts on each day. It's fantastic to get all your perspectives on what we've been seeing online. Good luck today with the wedding! :)

Dianne - Bunny Trails August 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

This has been an incredible class - I can't even imagine how amazing for you BEING there. Thanks so much for sharing your views and recap and photos. I love it all! All the best today as you get to be a part of this continuing epic adventure!

Carson August 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

Dude, great recap, great photos. And I've been jealous, wishing I could be there too, maybe even in your shoes. UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN IT WAS YOUR TURN TO SHOOT. In the chat room we were all sweating that with you. Talk about pressure. You did great though, at least from the outside looking in. What an incredible journey it's been for us on this side, I can only imagine it for you. Thanks again for sharing.

TracyWB August 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

Great post! What an adventure this must be. I am loving watching the videos and I can just imagine how much more intense it must be being there. I'm now stalking yours and the other attendees blogs to soak it all up. :)

JamieY August 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

I loved reading your recap. I have been watching online but missed alot, so for sure will be buying it. Love your pictures. Looks like ur having a blast, I am a little jealous ;)

Sachin Khona August 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Awesome blog Nate... flowed so well and can feel the same energy of the day from you again!!

Thanks for some great reminders in here too... There is so much going on, your mind is in a 100 places and then its live to the world too! It's great to have shared this experience with you and the others..

All the best for the wedding today!!

Sachin

A. Rios August 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Wow!! I am totally loving this epic event! Thank you so much for sharing your behind the scenes look! Your insight complements what I've been watching.
I love your attitude! Your photography is amazing, I will follow your blog, knowing that I'll learn so much from you.

Thanks again, and best of luck!

Beth @ Pages of Our Life August 27, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I can only imagine what this opportunity will mean. I love that you all are sharing. Your images are awesome and make us feel more apart of the whole experience.

Michelle Hires August 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

I can totally feel your excitement Nate. Have fun and enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity!

I wish I could see the photos but I'm getting bandwith exceeded messages. I'll come back, for sure!

Jessi D August 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM  

Oh Nate, I am going to have to start blog stalking you now :) Great post. Thanks for the pics!!

Trysha August 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

Awesome recap! Thanks for a look at behind-the-scenes. I know I'll be checking back on your blog frequently at your daily recaps for days, months to come...so in two years when you're still getting hits on those pages...its me! lol

Trysha

Melanie August 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

Thanks for the glimpse behind the scenes! I missed a huge portion of yesterday's workshop, so it's been interesting reading the various blogs this afternoon. I did see your opportunity to take 1st glimpse shots and you looked & sounded so relaxed, you didn't seem scared at all! Great job.

Nate Perkes August 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

Thanks so much everyone! I'm so glad that everyone is enjoying these little recaps. I'll keep them coming! This has been absolutely fabulous!

Natalie Menteer August 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

Your pictures are just beautiful! What an awesome experience this has been just to watch. I can't imagine being there! Thank you for your behind the scenes photos I really enjoy them!

Aunt Tea August 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

thanks for blogging! great job!

Small Burst August 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

What a great recap!! Seriously. If anyone was going to walk away with any knowledge from this day's class, it would be all the points you've listed. Thanks for that. I'm seriously just living vicariously through the 5 of you. Can't wait to see the photos!!!

Brian Perkes August 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Caught a great look at both eyes wide open third shooter Nate Perkes. Looked like you were in your own little Nirvana. Way to go and enjoy the moment. This has been fun to watch

Kristin August 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

I love love the shot of her shooting in heels..something I hope to be able to accomplish one day! haha.
great story and captures!! Learn and laugh are two very good key points to remember and live by!!

cassandra-m August 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

AWESOME recap. thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. YOU have a great way with your words in your post. I enjoyed reading everything and so HAPPY you guys HAVING FUN!!

Juli L. August 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Wonderful pics and update! Thank you so much for sharing. Wish I was there, but so happy that all is going well for you and the other students...have a great last day! :)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP