Monday, August 9, 2010

Jasmine Star Workshop

If you've seen my "Favorites" section at the top, you'll have seen that Jasmine Star has been one of my favorite photographers for quite a while, among a few other photography "giants", that I look to for inspiration and motivation to continue working, and shooting, and improving. A few weeks ago, I saw this post, where Jasmine announced that Chase Jarvis (another featured favorite photographer) had come to her with an idea. And instead of explaining it myself, take a look at the video that Jasmine posted on her blog.
So I thought...I should try this. And sadly enough, that's all that happened. I thought about it. Thought it would be an amazing thing to try, thought that it would be a life changing event, and thought about finding time to make a video. Thinking that the deadline was only a few days away, I missed my opportunity to turn my thoughts into action. My Mother called me that Saturday to tell me that I HAD to apply and make a video, but I told her that the due date had already passed. She showed me that I actually had another whole week till the deadline, and so I still had time to make my video.

Long story short(er), my wife and I noodled over idea after idea and did three "takes" three days in a row. Every time I finished editing another take, I realized other things I wanted to say or do. So here was the final video that was submitted:
And guess what? She PICKED ME! You can see the other 5 photographers she picked on her post here. I couldn't believe it. I am going to be able to learn for 5 days from one of the greatest photographers, and be able to shoot a live wedding with her and 5 other great people from around the world.

Needless to say, I'm ridiculously excited about this incredible opportunity. I plan on keeping updates flowing on the blog during the workshop, as well as on twitter @nateperkes. Thanks so much to Luisa for being patient with me, and for returning each day for "take 2" and "take 3" when there was only supposed to be a "take 1". Also a big thanks to my family who all pitched in and had great ideas, especially my older brother Josh, who was visiting town on our "take 3" day, and had some really great input that helped a lot with the video. I had a blast making it. Hope you enjoyed it!

9 comments:

Josh August 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

Nate,

We can't stop watching your video. It makes us smile and love you guys more every time we watch it. You have to be the cutest couple on the planet and we adore you. Thanks for the thanks but anyone that knows you understands that you are the genius behind all your work...with a good measure of Luisa creativity and inspiration of course. It was so fun to be a witness of "take 3" and laugh with you guys through the many shots. I'm still waiting for the outtake video. Shoot on, little Bro!

Sachin Khona August 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

Amazing video Nate! I can't wait to meet you at this event.. Its gonna be a great experience!

Katie Jordan August 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

What a great video! I am loving CreativeLive so far, and am anxious to see all the pictures and notes you will post from the experience. Congratulations!

Fabiana Beatriz August 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

SOOOO excited that she picked a fellow Idahoan to be one of her students. Congratulations!!! And congrats on the exciting news for you and your wife!!! You are going to love being parents!
-Fabiana, Eagle, ID

a.r. August 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!! Your video!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

You truly deserved to be chosen to be on Creative Live Epic event with Jasmine Star!

And BIGGER Congratulations to you and your wife!! You are going to be a mommy and a daddy!! And something tells me you are going to be excellent parents!!

Greetings from California!
~A. Rios

Chris August 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Cheers for all the dads and moms of the world who push and encourage their children to grow. Now you can look to the future and pass it on.
Congratulations on being chosen and on the addition to your family.
So far I've enjoyed and learned from you and the other members at Creative Live.
Good luck today at the Wedding

Jasmin (no joke!) August 29, 2010 at 4:05 AM  

Dear Nate,
I found your blog, because I watch the Jasmine Star Workshop LIVE every night over here in Germany. After watching your awesome video right now I can deeply understand why Jasmine picked you! Love it and you made me cry out of happiness for you, your wife and your definetly awesomme little baby! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing all the great things you learn during the workshop, I can't appreciate enough what I can pick up from all of you during the LIVE session! I'm sure, your business will blast soon - and I do hope that for me too... ;-)

Ashley Perez September 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM  

Hey Nate! Just stopping by from Jasmine's blog! This video is adorable! Congrats on the exciting baby news (:

Cindy September 4, 2010 at 7:16 AM  

Love the video! You guys were great on Creative Live. I'm watching it for the second time...start to finish! Good luck to you and your wife. Looking forward to following your blog:)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP