Friday, April 2, 2010

Off Camera Flash!

Photobucket

I've been reading "The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light From Small Flashes" by Joe McNally, one of my all-time heros in the photography world. I consider him one of the kings of off camera flash. You can check out his website here, or his blog here. Joe is a journalist, a story teller, which is probably what makes him such an amazing photographer; each of his photos tells a dynamic story. But you'll notice his style is not typical. He's photographed for National Geographic, Time, Life, and much more...BUT, to stay on topic here, he's made me want to get my flash...off camera, triggered wirelessly.

Photobucket

So I ordered a few fun new gizmos and gadgets from B&H and waited patiently (not really) for my package to arrive, and it did on Tuesday! I had family in town staying with my brother and his wife that live close by...perfect! So I headed over there, "Hi, yeah, good to see you, come outside for a second and stand under my umbrella..." I had a blast. Seriously, too much fun. I set up my flash on a light stand shooting through a Westcott Umbrella, exposed for the sky, and let the flash do the rest.

Photobucket

I'm excited for this new world that has opened up to me, with the
ability to light my subjects with nice flattering soft light.

Photobucket

Hope you enjoy!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Pappa Perkes April 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

Some of your most exciting shots to date. Always fun for me to watch you and Mom develop and expand your artistic tools and techniques.

Don't stop!

Brian Perkes April 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

These are great. Flashin Joe M. would be proud. I would like to try a little flash work, as well as some light painting. Perhaps at the reunion we could find time to have a little photo shoot.

Your shots just get better and better all the time.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP